One Answer

  1. Unlike a computer, a natural logic machine (the nervous system, including the brain) works not according to strict, but probabilistic logic. The computer receives clear input instructions and executes them. The nervous system, when receiving input signals, does not always understand how to interpret them and what to do with them. It compares one portion of signals with others, finds patterns and connections, and then predicts the probability with which choosing one of several solutions will lead to a positive result.

    The brain does not know if 2 + 2 is equal to four, there is no calculator in the human body. But of the many other possible answers (2, 22, 51, 78…) the nervous system chooses ” 4 ” because it has previously learned the concepts of counting, numbers, and addition and can now give an accurate answer. She has enough data and information to evaluate the answer “4”as correct with 99% probability, and all other answers are correct with only 1%.

    If there is not enough data, if the nervous system is faced with a problem whose concept it has not encountered before (or the concept itself does not imply the possibility of giving an unambiguous answer), then the brain uses other concepts and data (solving the problem by analogy), choosing between solutions with similar probabilities (not 99% and 1%, but let's say 56% and 44%). This is intuition.

Leave a Reply